Hughes-Anderson's Information Systems Department is made up of several employees who hold degrees in computer related fields, while others have accumulated years of "hands-on" experience and continuing education in the area of computer software/hardware technologies. This diverse group of individuals designs and maintains many of the programs used on a daily basis in the Engineering, Sales, Quality Control and Accounting departments. They also provide in-house technical support for commercial applications such as Microsoft Office® and AutoCAD®.
Below is a listing, by department, of some of Hughes-Anderson's in-house applications and software modifications/enhancements.
Estimating / Sales / Purchasing
• Bill of Material (BOM) - generated by Engineering at time of design/detailing. Database contains descriptions and geometries of all components required in fabrication. Data generated is used by Purchasing, Milltest, and NDE programs.
• Estimating Program - RCS's estimating module coupled with in-house application for data retrieval from our own Mechanical Design Program.
• Quote System - logs and tracks RFQs including price, number of items, customer, end user. Database is searchable by a variety of fields.
• Sales Order System - serves as the "hub" for other programs. Tracks customer, end user, TEMA type, tube material, weight, size, etc. Generated data is used for scheduling of backlog. Database is searchable by a variety of fields.
• Work Order Detail - searchable database containing detailed information for each work order (WO), including dimensional data, design pressure/temperature, TEMA type, construction materials. Report generator for specified search criteria.
• Purchasing Suite - generates Inquiry, from selected BOM items. Inquiries can be converted to Purchase Order (PO) or PO can be generated manually. Pertinent information is tracked for each item such as estimated delivery date, vendor, price, etc. A Receiving module flags items as they are received. Purchasing and Receiving information is written to the BOM database which is accessible throughout the plant's network.
• Data Collection System (DACOS) - tracks hours, labor codes, and employees for every active WO in the shop. This information not only feeds the payroll system, but allows tracking of specific operations, in near real-time, for each employee, work order and shop (welding, machine, assembly).
• Production Status - data is imported from the Design and Estimating programs, DACOS, and the Sales Order system to "calculate" a fabrication schedule/timeline for each job based on promised delivery date and "latest possible start time". Data may also be analyzed for impact on individual shops.
• Weld Procedure (WPS) Writer - WPS's and Procedure Qualification Records (PQR's) are stored in a database which is accessible throughout the plant's network. Database is also connected to Weld Consumables Program--see below.
• Weld Consumables - Welder, WO, consumables (to nearest 1/10th LB), WPS and location of each weld for every job tracked is near real-time. Reports can be generated by WO, Welder, date range, consumable, etc.
• NDE Travelers - Excel® spreadsheets have been customized to read materials or weld locations from appropriate database for each job in the shop. Required testing and/or material requirements are checked off as completed by various Quality Control (QC) personnel.
• CNC Programs - generate files for CNC burn table, drills, and milling machines.
• Drawing Status (DRAST) - tracks AutoCAD® drawings, calculations, WPS's and NDE procedures sent to customers. Also tracks status of same documents and their revisions returned by customers.
• Milltest - component materials (i.e. plate, nozzles, etc.) are entered for each WO and checked for correct chemistry and physical properties against a database of 250+ ASME materials. Materials database is editable/expandable. Out of range values are instantly flagged. Acceptable items are stored and can be printed for each WO. A final summary report of all materials is generated and included with data books sent to customers.